At the end of june. To work in politics. For former Governor of Virginia Mark Warner. Who is often mentioned as a leading Democratic candidate from President in 2008.
This was a difficult decision, for many reasons:
- I like Austin and am very happy in my apartment with the sweet screen-door (thanks Todd for the refactoring help) that is 1 mile from work and 1 mile from soccer.
- I was just made partner at Handwire, (which I won’t technically be giving up but who knows what will happen in the next year or so) and I love working with the people there.
- I really enjoy being close to my friends here, both old and new.
- I loathe the Washington D.C area and the entire East Coast in general
But I have decided to do it anyways because:
- It will be an adventure
- I want to see a Democrat in the White House in 2008
- My sister Susan lives in Richmond, VA. She had a boy a year-and-a-half ago and is pregnant with another. My nephews need me, rumor has it their father wants them to grow up playing Lacrosse. Lacrosse!!!
- My other sister Sara (and my nephew Preston) is fixin to move to Charlotte, N.C., which is a short 5 hour or so drive away (5 hours is nothing for a Texan!).
- I loathe the East Coast but have not ever really explored it (as an adult) and am excited about taking the train to NY City, for example (where I have never been) or driving out to Boston and snickering at people
- The thought of drastically reducing my income and drastically increasing my cost-of-living is too enticing.