">'); win.document.writeln(''); win.document.writeln(''); }

The Indefinite Article.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Grown-up table

Originally uploaded by tcserpa
Wow, what a crazy Turkey Day! Got in Wednesday, around 11:00 pm, and proceeded to watch the Boy® be put to bed, then to drink whiskey until 3:30 am while conversing.

Bright and early the next morning, the aforementioned Boy® shyly woke me up (on the couch) with such penetrating questions as 'are you asleep?', 'did you sleep here?' and, 'wanna watch me play Super Mario Galaxy?'. To which the answers were, 'Yes.', 'Yes.', and 'After i make coffee.'

Thursday involved some clean-up and set-up, various bouts of child entertaining, consoling and/or locating, entirely too much small talk, and a wonderful meal filled with turkey and companionship.

That evening, more alcohol consumption and conversation was perpetrated, once again until the wee hours (2:00 am or so).

At a slightly less wee hour (5:15 am) the doorbell rang. Repeatedly. It turned out to be Killy's 70+ year old neighbor lady and her husband, who had been stood-up by a few cab companies and needed a ride to the airport. Since my rental (2008 Malibu) had slightly more trunk and passenger space and considerably less of the detritus of childhood, i volunteered to drive. It turns out they were headed to Florida for a cruise to the Panama Canal. Coincidentally, i was able to tell them that various migratory birds, including several large raptors, are currently in the Panama leg of their route.

So that happened, and i was back on the couch around 6:15, to attempt to sleep. Until 7:45, at which the Boy® once again offered me the opportunity to watch Mario Galaxy occur.

I eventually went home after not enough sleep on not enough couch, too much booze and turkey, and feeling like a 70 year-old myself. I was asleep by 9:00.

Thanks to Los Chavez for a wonderful weekend.

P.S.: I was able to do my good deed for the day: I rescued a wandering dog and reunited him with his owners. Gus, a big, older, sweet but dumb yellow lab, was wandering around Hyde Park entirely too close to 45th, a very busy street. 'I have to put a stop to that', i thought. A quick turn-around and phone call to his owners later Gus and I were headed to my place, he being restrained by my belt as an impromptu leash, me being pulled along by Gus, and his owners were coming from North Austin to retrieve him.

They got him. The end.


  • firstly
    thanks so much for coming to see us - we love you so much that adolfo is afraid that i am madly in love with you - which is unacceptable because i am to be madly in love with him only - to which killy's feelings are as yet unknown
    in any case
    i am so glad you hung out and so sad that adolfo didn't let you sleep and so glad that i can still talk to you and so sad that most of the time i was able to talk i was drunk as a skunk but most glad of all that you are still the wonderful witty caring superhero sweetheart we fell madly in love with
    you should really move back to houston
    thanks also for taking all those pictures
    and thanks for introducing me to whiskey
    i will still to tequila

    By Blogger CarolinaDivina, at 10:58 PM  

  • Wow...your are a superhero of subtle proportions...which are the most important kind.

    Thanks for the run down of the holiday. Sounds like a wonderful time.

    By Blogger colin, at 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home